Aug 25, 2010

One Reason People Can Accomplish More When They Are Already Busy

Ever notice that busy people seem to accomplish more?

There's many great sayings about this concept. One that comes to mind is the famous, "You want something to get done, give it to someone who's busy. You want something to take a long time to be completed, give it to someone who's not."

I agree fully!

Recently, I've been super busy and stressed. When I knew I was going into the stress, I warned those around me that I would be unable to do certain things. I would have to postpone blogging, for one.

Yet, somehow this busy-ness has allowed me the ability to concentrate my efforts and accomplish a lot more than I expected. Including a record amount of blog entries in a record amount of time. ...for me.

So why? Why am I able to do more when I have more to do? If you have an answer, I would love to hear about it. As for me, my answer is simply this. Busy people have momentum on their side. They have certain time constraints. The tightening of time allows them to concentrate in such a way that enables more action than is usual. That action resembles a ball rolling down hill. Once the ball is set in motion--through the original requirement and reason for the busy-ness--it begins to gather speed. That speed goes above and beyond what is necessary for the ball to get down hill.

Much the same, a busy person goes above and beyond what is necessary for the requirements of the busy-ness. The result: more gets accomplished.

So, what can we learn from this? It's simple. If you want to accomplish much in life, get busy doing other things. That busy-ness will enable you to do both what you need and want done.

No comments: